Important Tournament Program Update 2021
Due to the current Victorian lockdown and the uncertainty of whether it will be possible to run live events in the next few weeks, particularly in universities, TOM Victoria has decided to move all Regional Tournaments to an online format for all regions.
We feel it is important for us to keep the program unning and available to schools and students, and with the following changes, we can still offer schools a positive TOM experience - even with the added challenges of COVID-19:
· Team nominations will now remain open until Friday 13th August 2021.
· Teams will be required to video the presentation of their challenge solution in one-take, with no editing. The usual TOM presentation rules apply, such as teams must present within a 3x3 metre square; a table and two chairs can be used as props etc. (see section 4.2 of the instruction manual).
· Should further lockdowns occur, and teams are unable to meet live, we will need to adjust these rules
· Teams will be required to upload a link to their video, together with any accompanying paperwork or other Challenge requirements by 6pm Wednesday 25th August 2021
· There will be no Spontaneous Challenge this year.
· Judging will be done on a regional basis, completed online, over the weekend of 28th/29th August.
· Regional winners will be announced Monday 30th August and will be invited to participate at the Victorian Final on Sunday 12th September. At this time, we are planning a live event, with restrictions, but of course this may change.
As a result of these changes, we have rescheduled our Q&A and Judges Training sessions. Please note the new dates and times:
· The free Q&A Session has moved from next Monday 26th July to Monday 2nd August at 7.30pm. Please register online and pre-submit any questions in the notes section when you register https://tom.edu.au/workshop/search
· We have added another free Q&A session to assist schools with the online submission of their videos and paperwork etc. on Monday 23rd August at 7.30pm. Please register online and pre-submit any questions in the notes section when you register https://tom.edu.au/workshop/search
· The training session for judges from all regions will now be held online on Wednesday 18th August at 7.30pm. We will provide a link to registered judges shortly. The training session will be recorded and available to any judges who cannot attend on the night.
We will still require a small army of judges to assist with the judging. We ask all schools endeavour to consider providing at least one judge. Please complete a judge registration form and email back to [email protected] by 6th August.
2021 Regional Challenges
The 2021 Regional Challenge Pack was released via the TOM Portal on Friday 9th July. Please contact the TOM Office via email if you are unable to access it.
Tournament Results 2020
Thank you to the schools that entered a team or teams in this year’s Tournament of Minds Program. There were over 150 teams throughout Victoria participating in the special Super Challenge. A different type of challenge for the special circumstances we find ourselves. This year teams not only had to solve “Quo Vadis”, the Super Challenge, but also had to contend with the difficulties of the lockdown restrictions – and every team, and their teachers and supporters too, should be so proud of their fine efforts in solving and overcoming both those complex challenges.
The judges were often astounded at the amazingly creative presentations the teams submitted, and highly impressed by the use of ICT. All teams managed to put together a video presentation where the seven team members were mostly working in isolation. Incredible work!
Please link here for the list of teams to receive Distinction and Honours awards in 2020.
The Victorian Office is always there to assist and support you to implement the TOM program at your school. We endeavour to respond to you within 24 hours. The best method of contact is by email, as our office is not always attended during business hours. Our contact details are:
Email: [email protected]